We’re often asked about what kind of drone can be used for mapping. While there are many available options and each have their own unique pros and cons. We’ve decided to share below a list of drone and accessories we commonly use for our mapping projects.
First, the absolute essentials:
- Phantom 4 Pro Drone
- Extra batteries (very important if more than one flight is planned)
- 32Gb or 64Gb microSD cards (the more the merrier)
While not essential, the following accessories are very nice to have and will make your flying much more efficient and enjoyable:
- Specifically-designed drone backpack
(while not cheap we highly recommend this Manfrotto backpack, it’s a huge improvement over the foam case that comes with the Phantom and will keep your drone and all of your accessories safe and secure)
- Portable external hard drive (data management is critical when collecting high volumes of imagery – this portable external hard drive is well-designed and provides additional security while out in the field)
- Car Charger (nice to have if you don’t have an endless supply of batteries)
- Battery charging hub (for charging multiple batteries sequentially)
- Extra quick release propellers (you never know…)
- Pelican SD Memory Card Case (better than your pockets)
- Remote controller strap (very useful while walking over uneven terrain)
- Remote controller monitor hood for tablets or smartphones (helps you see the monitor when the sun is shining)
Full disclosure: each of the links above will take you to DJI’s online store. If you choose to purchase anything from their store PacificUAV will receive a small referral credit.